When you have bought or made your own Absinthe how to prepare it is the next issue because Absinthe is not like any other alcoholic beverage, it is usually served diluted with iced water. This way of serving Absinthe is the traditional way that Absinthe was served in La Belle Epoque in France and Switzerland. One can go through “The Ritual” or “La Louche” to gather information.
Absinthe How to Prepare using The Ritual
To perform the Ritual, you will need the following:-
– Absinthe – A good quality Absinthe containing real herbal ingredients such as wormwood, aniseed and fennel. One must get the Absinthe having the thujone content.
– An Absinthe glass – an antique Absinthe glass or replica one is important item. Replicas of antiques like Pontarlier glasses and Eiffel Tower spoons are available at AbsintheKit.com.
– One must take a slotted Absinthe spoon.
– Take a cube of sugar.
– One can use iced water in a carafe or in an Absinthe fountain.
Instructions for preparing the perfect Absinthe drink:-
– Pour 25-50ml of Absinthe into the glass.
– One has to rest the Absinthe spoon over the rim of the glass and place a cube of sugar on it.
– Iced water can be slowly drip over the sugar from the tap of the fountain or from a carafe. The sugar dissolves by it’s slow dripping and drip from the opening of the spoon. One must see a lovely “louche” effect after mixing the water into the alcohol. The insolubility of the essential oils in water makes the mixture cloudy when water is added to Absinthe.
– A person can have fun with Absinthe commonly known as the Green Fairy.
The Bohemian or Czech Method
This method of preparing Absintheis not traditional but is a modern way of preparing cheap Czech Absinthes. The Bohemian method is not appreciated by many Absinthe followers.
You will need:-
– Take an Absinthe glass
– The use of an Absinthe slotted spoon
– Use a cube of sugar
– One must have a lighter or a match
– Iced water
Instructions and tips for using the Bohemian method:-
– Pour 25-50ml of Absinthe into the glass and dip the sugar cube into it to soak the sugar.
– Take the Absinthe spoon to keep sugar cube on it and rest on the rim of the glass.
– The sugar cube should be kept alight for sometime to caramelize and melt. It is necessary to drop the sugar through the spoon into the Absinthe.
– It is necesary to keep the spoon into the Absinthe and pour the iced water into it for releasing the flames and causing the Absinthe to louche.
– Enjoy your Absinthe drink.
* Care should be taken with this method because the Absinthe in the glass may set alight too *
Absinthe can also be used in many cocktails. Ernest Hemingway liked mixing it with champagne and referred it as “Death in the Afternoon”.
There are many mysteries, stories and legends surrounding Absinthe about it’s preparation, its history, the ban and the revival. Now one can enjoy drinking this famous mythical drink.